Who we are
The Communities Trust is funded by the airport operator LHR Airports Ltd, which runs four airports in the UK – Aberdeen, Glasgow, Heathrow and Southampton.
Our grant-making is targeted towards helping the local communities closest to the airports.
We have four key aims:
- To create learning opportunities for young people and raise their aspirations;
- To break down barriers to employment through skills development;
- To help protect the environment;
- To support staff active in the community.
Our Trustees include representatives from the local community, senior representatives from the airport operator and other airport companies and people who have specific skills and experience in learning and education and environmental management, reflecting the focus of our grant-making. They are:
- Alan Coates – Business in Education specialist
- Mary Francis – Surrey-based Learning and Skills Consultant
- Matt Gorman – Director of Corporate Responsibility, Heathrow
- Clare Harbord – Communications Director, Heathrow
- Jason Holmes - Head of Strategic Operations Planning, Heathrow
- Punam Kharbanda – Business in the Community/schools mentoring manager
- Alison Moore – Schools and education manager, Hillingdon Borough Council
- Christie Rawlings - Public Affairs Manager (BA)
- Steve Ronald – BA (British Airways) Head of Alliances - Trust Chairman
The Trust’s Director is Caroline Nicholls, supported by a local grants manager for each local community fund:
- Aberdeen – Sarah Campbell
- Glasgow – Neil Richardson/Sharon Morrison
- Heathrow – Kate Birch
- Southampton – Jo Quint